Let's Call it a Day !

© Ali Hoolash

Let's Call it a Day !

Judy S. Fung 12/8/2004 11:34:24 AM

Gorgeous shot, Ali! The colors are amazing! #194995

Sharon Day 12/8/2004 11:50:52 AM

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Wonderful color and light! #961077

Patrick Campbell 12/8/2004 12:53:42 PM

Very beautiful, Ali! #961149

Diane Dupuis 12/8/2004 2:49:29 PM

Wow - this is spectacular! Congrats! What kind of filter did you use? (I'm new to filters and only have a circular polarizer and uv haze.) What is a grey graduated? The colors are so outstanding!! #961287

Allan Farnsworth 12/8/2004 3:43:22 PM

Very nice! #961349

Ali Hoolash 12/9/2004 12:22:30 AM

Thank you all for your nice comments!
To Diane: A grey graduated filter is a filter that has the upper part darker than its lower part. It comes in different intensities and the grey grad filter is mostly used to balance the sky with the foreground, so that the sky is not overexposed and details are kept in the foreground. It is mostly used in situations where the camera CCD or film cannot give a proper exposure to both the sky and foreground elements due to high contrast.
Hope this has helped! #961850

Diane Dupuis 12/9/2004 2:58:00 AM

Wow - thanks so much for the detailed explanation, Ali ... I guess I'm off to the camera store to check it out! Thanks again and congrats on a spectacular sunset shot! #961919

Patrick Campbell 12/9/2004 7:56:50 AM

Diane - another name for these are graduated neutral density filters. The best ones are glass (Singh Ray and other brands), and rectangular ones that fit in a Cokin or other holder are more versatile than round ones that screw onto the lens. #962535

Odelia 1/4/2005 3:49:24 PM

I love it. The colors are absolutely gorgeous! #1014428

Diane Dupuis 1/4/2005 4:47:49 PM

I'm still lovin' it Ali! Congrats on being featured in Photoflash! #1014526

Jeffrey Berkes 2/21/2005 7:04:24 AM

Great shot Ali! I have been looking for the Graduated ND filters. which stop did you use? and was the filter applied to the top or bottom of the pic? #1122171

Ali Hoolash 2/21/2005 9:51:25 AM

To Jeffrey: thanks, Jeffrey. Unfortunately, the Cokin set of Graduated filters don't come in stops. I have 2 of them, the 120 and 121 but I guess they are 1 and 2 stops respectively.
This is also why I am saving to upgrade to Lee Filters which come in "stops" strentgh. They are expensive but worth the money, I've heard!
To answer your other question, the filter was placed for the top portion of the shot (ie: sky). #1122630

To discuss, first log in or sign up (buttons are at top center of page).


Nikkor 35-80mm lens - Tripod - Grey Graduated Filter. Shot at Riviere Noire, Mauritius.

Uploaded on 12/8/2004 11:27:00 AM

Made With

Camera: Nikon D70 Digital SLR Camera

BetterPhoto.com Editor's Pick

Copyright for this gallery photo belongs solely to Ali Hoolash. Images may not be copied, downloaded, or used in any way without the expressed, written permission of the photographer.
Log in to follow or message this photographer or report this photo.