Photo Contest Finalist
Palace of Fine Arts II
Description: The Palace of Fine Arts was built for the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition held in San Francisco just 9 years after the devastating 1906 earthquake. The structures here, as they were at many of the expositions and world's fairs, were not made to be permanent structures, only built to last until the end of the expo, so the original structure was made of "staff", a mixture of plaster and burlap fiber.
The movement to preserve this one building started in October 1915 and it was the only building left after the rest of the expo was dismantled. Over the years though weather and neglect made the building unusable but the preservation effort was taken back up in the 1950s and by the mid 70s it had been restored. Today it houses the Palace of Fine Arts Theatre and the Exploratorium.
Uploaded on 4/15/2010 9:14:55 AM
Made with Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera
Read Photo Discussion
Sign in to make this photo a Favorite
© Songbird Cline
Join the photo sharing fun!
Sign in to make photographer a Favorite
Copyright for this gallery photo belongs solely to
Images may not be copied, downloaded, or used in any way without the expressed, written permission of the photographer.
Contact the photographer