BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: Best Photographic Equipment to Buy : Digital Cameras and Accessories : Digital Photo Printers & Supplies

Photography Question 
Adam Krusz

Printing Papers

I just bought the Rebel 300D. LOVE the camera (little confusing but I'm learning ... slowly). My question is when I want to print the picture what type of paper works best for regular 4x6 pictures? I have an Epson photo printer, which works good. But when I go to get glossy paper there seems to be 4 or 5 "glossy" types to choose from. Will the plain "glossy photo" paper work fine, or can someone recommend a better type? I'm just looking to put my pictures in a photo album for now. Thanks for all the help!
P.S.: This site ROCKS!

To love this question, log in above
6/11/2004 2:52:21 AM

Gregory LaGrange
BetterPhoto Member Since: 11/11/2003
  With some brands, a regular glossy isn't as thick as a premium glossy. And a premium may have a shinier gloss and may absorb ink and dry faster. You'll find some bigger differences between brands of paper. Try the Olympus Pictorico, Canon, or Epson.

To love this comment, log in above
6/11/2004 5:31:18 PM

Shirley D. Cross-Taylor
BetterPhoto Member Since: 1/7/2001
Contact Shirley
Shirley's Gallery
  Adam, check out They are an Epson representative company and have a wide variety of Epson and other fine art papers at the lowest prices. (They have the best prices on Epson ink cartridges, too.) Their 10 mil glossy is my favorite. It is heavy, and resists scratching.

To love this comment, log in above
6/15/2004 3:13:05 PM

Michael Kaplan   Adam,
Printers work best with papers that are matched to their inks. The drivers that come with the printers already know how best to print on those recommended papers.

That said, there are certainly other combinations that work. To check out what may or may not work, I suggest you check out forums like at's printer forum. Do a search there and you will find many alternative papers and inks that may work for your printer and which don't. Also some other brands of papers will have profiles available for your printer so that you will get the best quality that your printer/ink/paper combination can give you.

I personally have the Epson 1280 and stick to the better Epson papers like Premium Glossy Photo or Matt. If you look around, you can usually find sales on papers that make it cheaper. You just need to make sure that if you are trying another make of paper that you get one that is compatible with your kind of ink. In your case that would be dye based.

BTW, it also depends on what you are printing. For example, if I am printing a DVD jacket for a movie I made, I print on a plain thinner Glossy paper as that is all I need to produce a nice colored picture but when printing photographs, I always try to use the better stuff.

To love this comment, log in above
6/23/2004 4:48:59 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.