BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
John Kratz

What Is That Square-ish Thing on Back of Camera?

What is the square-ish thing on the back of some older cameras? It looks to me like it would hold a slip of paper or something. Just curious, thanks.

To love this question, log in above
3/22/2004 7:46:28 AM

doug Nelson   It holds the end of a film box so that you know what's in the camera. Newer cameras automatically set film speed, so the manufacturers did away with this feature.

To love this comment, log in above
3/22/2004 9:37:22 AM

Nirmal Roberts   In today's 35mm cameras there is a small transparent window on the back. Particulars of the loaded film printed on the film container are visible through this window.

To love this comment, log in above
3/25/2004 10:08:32 PM

John Kratz   Thank you Doug and Nirmal!

To love this comment, log in above
3/26/2004 8:31:49 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.