- Become a better photographer today!
remember me:     

BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

To participate in the Forum, become a BetterPhoto member or Sign In.

Photography Question 

member since: 12/23/2003

Developing For A Beginner

Hello, I have been interested in home developing black and white photos for a while. I started to search the web, and then because I had too many questions I decided that it was just too complicated. But, I just love the way the images look and really want to have a hobby of my own - it looks so much fun!

Anyway, I am thinking of starting out with a 35mm SLR camera. People have said that those are good to start with because there are many lens options. So I have decided to start with that. Ok, I know that when developing film you use the tank for the negatives, but after that (I am sorry if this sounds like a ridiculous question) what do I do to make the actual picture? On all of the sites I have been to they have said up to the part about negatives, tanks, changing bags and then they stop... will you please help me?

12/23/2003 7:53:38 PM

doug Nelson

member since: 6/14/2001
  Look for the Time-Life Photography series books on Film and The Print. These go for $2 at flea markets. Kodak has good books, at serious photography stores.

12/24/2003 6:16:55 AM

Gregory LaGrange
BetterPhoto Member

member since: 11/11/2003
  You need an enlarger, trays, chemicals, a safelight, a timer (can get by without it, but it would make it much more difficult), contrast filters, lens for the enlarger, some rubber tipped tongs come in handy.

12/24/2003 6:22:51 PM

Sara L. Tanner
BetterPhoto Member

member since: 9/2/2003
  Hi. I'm taking a photography course at my highschool. Gregory named most everything we have in the darkroom at school. (If you don't mind getting wet the tongs aren't neccesary). Our timer is glow-in-the-dark so we can still see it when we are working but it doesn't give off enough light to mess anything up. You will also need orthochromatic photopaper ofcourse! :)

12/29/2003 5:12:54 PM

Melanie Marchese

member since: 1/16/2003
  Depending on the area where you live, there might be Adult (Continuing) Education classes available - or a Community College nearby that offers Photography classes - I have done both and found them very helpful!

12/30/2003 3:57:44 AM


To participate in the Forum, become a BetterPhoto member or Sign In.

Copyright 1996-2014, Inc. All Rights Reserved.