BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Kelly A. Sullivan

Property Release Forms

How can I obtain property release forms for photos that have been taken years ago either in other states or overseas? Some of the buildings are national landmarks or places of interest, so I wouldn't think it would be that difficult.

To love this question, log in above
9/19/2003 11:51:32 AM

Brenda Tharp
BetterPhoto Member Since: 6/9/2003
  Kelly - Are you sure you need them? Property releases are only needed if you plan to sell the image, or license it, for commercial purposes, such as an ad or in a brochure. For books, exhibits, fine art prints, etc., you don't need one. Greeting cards fall into the middle of that somewhere, unfortunately, so depending upon you intent, you may or may not actually need a release. I'm not certain you need a release if it's a national landmark building. ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers) may be able to help. check our their web site and see what you find. Also, there are two books by Michael Heron on stock photography that would probably discuss releases in depth. If you need them after all, it will be a challenge, since you'd be dealing with the government landmark office, I'd guess. Good luck!

To love this comment, log in above
9/20/2003 5:26:12 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.