BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: All About Photography : Photographic Field Techniques

Photography Question 
Vickie Oakley
BetterPhoto Member Since: 6/2/2007

Pocket Wizard

I would like to purchase a Pocket Wizard, but do I purchase one or two? I want to trigger studio strobes that I used to trigger by infrared as well as use it with my Nikon SB 800 flashes.

To love this question, log in above
5/12/2010 1:29:32 PM

Gregory LaGrange
BetterPhoto Member Since: 11/11/2003
  You purchase at least two, a transmitter and a receiver, for the regular Pocket Wizard. I think the Pocket Wizard maximum can be a transmitter and receiver, but I'm not sure, so you'll have to check. But anyway, you'll need one transmitter typically for your camera, and a receiver for each light or apparatus you want set off with the pocket wizard. If you have multiple lights, any of them can be triggered with a built-in slave, then one receiver can be all you need.

To love this comment, log in above
5/12/2010 3:07:19 PM

John H. Siskin
BetterPhoto Member
John's Photo Courses:
4-Week Short Course: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  Hi Vickie
The Wizard is a good device. It works at a longer distance than many other units. I use the cheap radio slaves made in China. I donít need much distance, so they work well for me. The last ones I purchased were about 45 dollars total for a transmitter and 4 receivers. Do a search for digital radio slave on eBay. These will work with your SB800 units, IF you plug the transmitter into the pc sync socket on your camera. There will be no automatic exposure function.

To love this comment, log in above
5/12/2010 4:04:44 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.