- Become a better photographer today!
remember me:     

BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

To participate in the Forum, become a BetterPhoto member or Sign In.

Photography Question 
Christie Kleinert

member since: 10/29/2003

Lens Cap for Filters with No Thread

I just got a great wide-angle lens and a new polarizing filter to fit it. The polarizer is thin so it has no threads on the outside. Does anyone have a recommendation for a lens cap that will fit over the lens and filter?

1/10/2009 7:11:46 PM

Samuel Smith
BetterPhoto Member

member since: 1/21/2004
  this makes no sense christie,then you ask about a lens cap??
if a decent filter is applied the lens cap will fit the filter.
oh,however,no threads?requires a holder?
makes no sense?

1/11/2009 1:15:47 AM

Jon Close
BetterPhoto Member

member since: 5/18/2000
  Many screw-on filters designed for use on wide-angle lenses do not have front threads. This keeps their depth thin to avoid vignetting. To cover them requires a "push on" lens cap that fits over the outter rim of the filter and lens. Or, since a polarizer is a special-use filter, simply remove it and use the standard lens cap on the lens.

1/11/2009 5:24:50 AM

Christie Kleinert

member since: 10/29/2003
  Thanks Jon! That is exactly what I'm looking for! Are they easy to put on and take off? I've just never had an issue with a filter and my lens cap before but like you said these special thin ones for the wide angle are different! I'll look into that cap since it's easier than constantly taking off the polarizer, I'll be in Rome so I'll be outside a lot and then inside (where I will indeed take off the filter)

1/11/2009 7:45:28 AM

doug Nelson

member since: 6/14/2001
  I have also seen a little cover in photo ads that looks like a little shower cap. They can fit over the lens shade as well. Unsexy but practical. I've seen folks use the little can or jar covers with elastic from the grocery store. Whatever does the job.

1/12/2009 8:34:37 AM

Christie Kleinert

member since: 10/29/2003
  Hmm, that sounds interesting. Do you have a link for that or what it's called?

1/12/2009 8:53:17 AM

Christie Kleinert

member since: 10/29/2003
  Wait nevermind I think I just found it, LenCoat or Lens Hoodie. Interesting, seems to also work over a hood which is a bonus since with Wide angle lens one usually uses a hood.

1/12/2009 9:00:32 AM

Ann B. Jacobson

member since: 9/11/2007
  Singh-Ray sells push on lens caps. B+W also makes them.

1/13/2009 4:34:38 PM


member since: 6/27/2006
  I have the same problem with my low profile polarizer. I had a push on lens cap for a year before losing it. I've since bought a lens cap strap. Check out

1/14/2009 5:16:47 PM


To participate in the Forum, become a BetterPhoto member or Sign In.

Copyright 1996-2014, Inc. All Rights Reserved.