BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 

Fluorescent Lighting

Before I buy one, can someone let me know if I can use continuous, fluorescent lighting (cool lights) on both digital and film photography? Thanks!

To love this question, log in above
10/30/2007 8:28:20 AM

Mark Feldstein
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/17/2005
  You could, but the color shifting, trying to white balance it with all the variations from one type of tube to another will hamper your photo efforts. Then too, not having enough punch (wattage) and an inability to easily control spill with all the other problems in using this kind of lighting, in all likelihood, will drive you quite mad...MAD I TELL YOU....BOO !!!!! HA HA HA HA !!!
Take it light ;>)

To love this comment, log in above
10/30/2007 8:54:41 AM

Raymond H. Kemp
BetterPhoto Member Since: 4/2/2004
  The increasingly popular cool lights are rated near daylight balance. However, I have noticed a very slight tint of green if the light is close to the subject. Since I shoot digital, this is easily corrected in Photoshop by applying a slight curve opposite the green which is magenta. For film, you may have to add a FL filter or have the image color-corrected during printing. I no longer use the fluorescent cool lights except in limited situations. I've switched to HMIs, which are terrific.

To love this comment, log in above
10/30/2007 10:07:45 AM

Rich Collins
BetterPhoto Member Since: 6/24/2005
  HI Robert,

In addition to the above info, I thought reading up a bit on this might be helpful for you. If you care to take a look at this article on lighting, perhaps it can shed some, dare I, light, on the subject. I'm shameless.


And stop by sometime at my photo blog,

To love this comment, log in above
11/6/2007 6:44:44 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.