BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Noreen Callahan
BetterPhoto Member Since: 7/20/2007

Flash Unit Question

A couple of years ago, I saw a flash unit of some sort that, when placed opposite the digital camera being used, would go off at the same time as the flash on the digital, thus eliminating glare and reflection when photographing jewelry. It was under $50.00. I can't remember what it is called, nor can I locate one. Do you have any information on this?

To love this question, log in above
7/20/2007 5:03:25 PM

William Schuette
BetterPhoto Member Since: 9/8/2006
  Noreen, many speedlights have light sensors so that you can set them up remotely and when they sense another flash they will trigger. Alternatively, you can buy slave triggers that do the same thing. I can't think of a decent speedlight for $50.00 and am wondering if you saw an add for a slave trigger.

To love this comment, log in above
7/21/2007 1:53:42 PM

John H. Siskin
BetterPhoto Member
John's Photo Courses:
4-Week Short Course: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  Hi Noreen,
There are devices you can put into most strobes that will fire them when another unit goes off. These are called slave units. There are special units that will work with digital cameras that have an extra early flash to reduce red eye. Slave units, the trigger devices, are less than $50. You can find a very nice article in the current Photo Techniques about working with slave units.
The problem is that just randomly adding an additional light source is unlikely to solve more problems than it creates. You need to spend some time learning where to place lights and how to control them.
Thanks, John Siskin

To love this comment, log in above
7/21/2007 6:58:05 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.