BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 

How can I make props?

I am working with a photographer and he has ask for my help in making props. Especially numbers and letters to use with high school seniors. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

To love this question, log in above
4/11/2004 2:45:04 PM

Wayne l   Hello Jill,

I take it you want something to spell out the school and yr?

If thats it try styrofoam 1/2 inch thick
closed cell. Not the kind that shows the small balls (like some coolers)but the smooth kind. It's light and will cling to most cloth for a background or you can stick pin it in place.


To love this comment, log in above
4/15/2004 5:37:33 AM

Jill    Thank you Wayne.

I am also interested in making the numbers like 2004 that the kids can sit on. What kind of styrofoam can I use for that. Where can I buy it? Can I paint it? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.


To love this comment, log in above
4/16/2004 10:14:10 AM

Wayne l   Jill,
Still same thing, styrofoam just bigger and thicker. or you could use a box and just put the # on it. Check 1-866-583-2583 if they don't have the answer ck. local building supply outlets they have the 4x8ft sheets in different thicknes and they can help you for your area. Here in VA I know you can get 4x4x8ft blocks if you want it.
And yes you can paint it any color as long as it's with latex paint.


To love this comment, log in above
4/18/2004 1:55:07 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.