BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Lisa S

Professional film and processing

I have several questions:
1) I have read about Portra 160 and 400 NC, VC and recently purchased 400 VC as suggested by the salesperson, but have not shot with it yet. I am planning to use it for people which I thought would be best getting the NC. Has anyone used it?
2) I was actually thinking of a black and white photo on a black, white and golden taupe label. Has anyone had a color negative developed in black and white?
3) I was going to use the black and white film that has a golden tint, but the store associate suggested 400 VC and if I liked a particular picture, it could be developed in black and white. I would like more info on the differnet black and white film.
I am working on a container label for buffalo wings which is going to be sold to a mexican restaurant and would like to use a photo on the label possibly altered to opague in PhotoShop. Thinking of a head shot of a waiter wearing the sombero with the head slighly lowered. Ideas welcome.

To love this question, log in above
6/17/2003 10:52:45 AM

Jon Close
BetterPhoto Member Since: 5/18/2000
  The Portra 400VC can be used to create b&w prints, but it seems a waste to use this specialized and more expensive color film with the intent of creating a b&w image. Save the Portra 400VC for another occasion (like shooting flowers, fall colors, but not people). Stick it in the refrigerator if you won't be using it w/in a few weeks.

Get and use what you wanted in the first place, the C-41 process Kodak Black and White 400 (or their professional Portra 400BW).

To love this comment, log in above
6/17/2003 1:54:45 PM

Lisa S   Thank you for responding. It sounds like I was right in my intent, but thought the sales person knew more, so I went with her advice. It was expensive for 5 in a pack so I may return it and exchange it for 400NC since I will mainly be photographing people and get the black and white film also. Is the C-41 the one that gives a golden tint?

To love this comment, log in above
6/17/2003 2:05:19 PM

Jon Close
BetterPhoto Member Since: 5/18/2000
  Yes, C-41 b&w films, when developed, return an gold/orange negative. This mask allows the negatives to be used with color printers/paper to make b&w prints.

To love this comment, log in above
6/18/2003 5:28:59 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.