BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Julio Lop Lopez

Zoom Lens

Purchased a Sears Auto Zoom lens that mounts to a Canon T50 SLR. I have a Canon EOS Rebel 2000, so I purchase a T2 T-MOUNT adapter for Canon FD. Is there another adapter needed to connect the camera and lens? Thanks

To love this question, log in above
12/23/2008 3:57:14 AM

Jon Close
BetterPhoto Member Since: 5/18/2000
  The adapter you purchased is for attaching telescopes and some reflex (ie. mirror) lenses with the T-mount to an FD mount camera like your T50. What you need is an FD to EOS adapter. They exist, but are generally not recommended. To maintain long distance to infinity focus with the FD lenses requires that the adapter have correcting lens elements. These correcting lenses also necessarily act as a 1.26x teleconverter, with corresponding loss of 2/3 stop of maximum aperture (f/2.8 lens becomes f/3.5), and some loss of image quality.

Ironically, other makers' manual focus lenses (specifically Pentax, Nikon, and Zeiss/Contax) are more easily adapted to Canon EOS because they don't require any correcting lens elements in the adapter.

To love this comment, log in above
12/23/2008 2:27:01 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.