BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Debi Chambers

Eliminating camera movement blur w/o tripod?

I purchased a Tamaron 70-300mm lense for my D70 a couple of years ago, specifically to take wildlife shots. I live in the mountains and have a lot of elk and deer coming through. My problem is - when I zoom to 300mm to get the shot (and not spook the wildlife), I often get camera shake blur - I shoot in rugged terrain, so using a tripod is not an option. Is there a way to eliminate the blur w/o a tripod? Thanks

To love this question, log in above
10/14/2008 11:56:42 AM

Leslie J. Morris
BetterPhoto Member Since: 4/30/2007
  Monopod? They make them that double as walking least they provide some extra support, otherwise using a fast shutter speed should help....for those who can afford them, an IS lens...

To love this comment, log in above
10/14/2008 12:42:38 PM

Oliver Anderson
BetterPhoto Member Since: 11/16/2004
  You could make a Ghettopod which is a rope on a washer. When the camera is held to eyelevel you step on the washer at the end of the rope and it'll help you hold the camera more still than freehand.
A Carbon Fibre monopod is lite and would double as a walking stick.

To love this comment, log in above
10/14/2008 2:00:38 PM

Debi Chambers   Super ideas! - thanks for your input - I hadn't thought about a monopod and I'll have to try the idea of the ghettopod!

To love this comment, log in above
10/14/2008 2:06:28 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.