BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Rus Trawler

Getting thin black borders

All of the "processed" digital images I see everywhere have an automatic thin black border around them. I use PhotoSuite and there is no editing function for this. Anyone know how I get the border?



To love this question, log in above
9/5/2007 9:08:08 AM

Christopher Budny
BetterPhoto Member Since: 10/3/2005
  I'm not familiar with that software, but perhaps it has a similar feature as Elements... If you can enlarge the Canvas size (not the same as enlarging the Image size)---set your background fill color to black, and enlarge your Canvas size say, 2-4 pixels in width and height. That will (again, in Elements) create a black "border" at the perimeter of your image. You can control the thickness by simply enlarging by more pixels.

To love this comment, log in above
9/5/2007 11:21:16 AM

Rus Trawler   Thank you. This may very well work however it is too slow to process dozens of pictures. Practically every photo I see, even on the front page of a print newspaper, has a little black border. There must be some automatic program or feature that can do a whole file full of pictures to get this effect?

I take about 35K photos a year for real estate related work with Sony DSC cameras, and would love the little black border.



To love this comment, log in above
9/5/2007 12:43:30 PM

Alan N. Marcus   Hi Rus,

Corel Paint Shop Pro, a low-cost competitor to Photo Shop, you can down-load a trial copy at, has a tool ďadd borders". You select width and color and presto-chango you get a border of your choice. Likely Photo Shop and itís variants have a similar function.

Alan Marcus

To love this comment, log in above
9/5/2007 11:06:43 PM

Rus Trawler   Many thanks Alan, will try this.


To love this comment, log in above
9/6/2007 6:12:13 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.