BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Carol A. Roux
BetterPhoto Member Since: 12/23/2006

How to Mount Digital Prints

I would like to know what I can use to mount digital photos on acid-free matte board. Do I use heat fusing or cold mount? I want to enter a contest, and their rules say the photo must be mounted on matte board, no archival mounting, just flat on the matte board. I have used heat mounting paper with b/w and other film color prints. With digital color prints, I do not want to alter the color. Please help me decide which to use. Thanks!

To love this question, log in above
8/9/2007 7:56:38 AM

John P. Sandstedt
BetterPhoto Member Since: 8/8/2001
Contact John
John's Gallery
  Use spray adhesive. Inkjet prints don't do well with a heat press, the ink often runs. Not familiar with the term "cold mount", unless you mean spray adhesive.

To love this comment, log in above
8/9/2007 11:32:32 AM

John H. Siskin
BetterPhoto Member
John's Photo Courses:
4-Week Short Course: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  Hi Carol,
I agree that a heat press is not a good idea. I know it doesn’t work with my HP 8750 printer. However, I hate spray adhesive. It is very messy, and the glue you inhale is bad for you. Most of the time I use photo corners, and hide the corners with a matte. Alternatively, there is a product called Gudy 831, check out this link I put a test print using this stuff in a sunny window more than a year ago - no problems so far! Really, I think this is a great product.
Thanks, John Siskin

To love this comment, log in above
8/10/2007 10:13:20 PM

Bruce A. Dart   Carol,
There are a lot of products out there for mounting prints. A photo mount board comes with a peel and stick adhesive works well. It comes in a couple of different thicknesses and I prefer the double weight to give it more durability and less chance of bending or bowing. It also comes with foam core for a lighter weight but unless you put it in a frame, it tends to bow after a while. Lacquer or spray adhesive requires adequate ventilation, usually with a spray booth (exhaust fan). There are pressure sensative transfer adhesives as well but they can be messy and get glue all over your prints. With photos, that can be cleaned off with lacquer thinner but that will remove ink from an inkjet print. Most of these come in a 32x40 inch sheet, trimmed to size with a large paper cutter. They are also available in standard sizes.

To love this comment, log in above
8/14/2007 5:07:32 AM

Susie Peek-Swint
BetterPhoto Member Since: 7/23/2002
  Hi Carol ... when I had to do this for a local show last year I bought a large sheet of matte board and a roll of thin double-sided tape from an art store ~ I got a nice clean flat finish which worked well for me ~ hope this helps :)

To love this comment, log in above
8/14/2007 7:59:48 AM

Carol A. Roux
BetterPhoto Member Since: 12/23/2006
  Thanks everyone. Susie How wide was the tape. I am afraid this might not work for our State fair as their rules are rather strict. However I will keep this in mind for future mounts.
Again everyone Thanks

To love this comment, log in above
8/14/2007 9:43:03 AM

Sara L. Tanner
BetterPhoto Member Since: 9/2/2003
  Hi Carol,
Have you ever used rubber cement? I like it b/c the glue is not in the air as with spray adhesive and the excess can be rubbed off with a special eraser. Whatever you use, I hope it turns out great!


To love this comment, log in above
8/14/2007 1:36:55 PM

Sandra J. Colby
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/27/2004
  Hi Carol~
Ever do any scrapbooking? There are achival double stick pieces or tape that work well along the upper edge. My matboard company recommended only adhering the photo by one edge if not using an adhesive mount board. This allows for "breathing and prevents pulling/curling.
If it is to be just mounted on a board with no mat or frame, then you would secure all sides.

To love this comment, log in above
8/14/2007 3:34:19 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.