BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Trudy L. Smuin
BetterPhoto Member Since: 2/9/2005

Selling photos of public buildings

What exactly are the laws for selling photos of public buildings that were taken from a public street? I'm trying to find out if I can sell a picture of a casino without a property release. The photo was taken from the street. Also, a lake photo that has homes in the background.
Thank you...

To love this question, log in above
8/7/2007 3:30:33 PM

Mark Feldstein
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/17/2005
  Insofar as I'm aware, casino's are privately owned and they are NOT public buildings in the same sense as a government building is a "publicly owned" building. With a very few rare exceptions, unless it's part of a large group of buildings in the same photo, i.e., a street scene, the answer is "no" unless you get a release from the outfit that manages the property or owners.

If the homes are private and recognizable in any manner or form, if the photo is used commercially, you need a release.

There are plenty of books discussing the law for photographers, including property ownership and the release laws. I highly recommend that if you're going to do this kind of work, that you get one or two and study up.
Take it light.

To love this comment, log in above
8/7/2007 8:29:53 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.