BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Celeste McWilliams

Intern Duties

I am a home-based photography business owner. Recently, a high school student approached me about wanting to do an internship with me. I am interested in the idea, but not quite sure what I'd have her do. Also being a stay-at-home mom to a toddler, my work schedule is limited, and I'd consider my business to be slow-paced as far as number of assignments. Any thoughts/suggestions?

To love this question, log in above
7/17/2007 1:27:01 PM

Gregory LaGrange
BetterPhoto Member Since: 11/11/2003
  At the least you could show her how you got it started and what you do about taxes.
And she may be looking for how you go about taking your pictures. Set up stuff and the like.

To love this comment, log in above
7/17/2007 6:02:23 PM

Vanessa Rabayda
BetterPhoto Member Since: 1/4/2007
She could also be a great help assisting you when you go for a photoshoot. Having things ready, tripods, lights, whatever equipment that you use. That will give her good insight of all of a photographer's preparation for a shoot. If/when she goes with you, have her do even the little things we do, like even taking that ugly branch of tree out of the way of the camera, cleaning, maintaining the camera and lenses, and more.
When you feel she's ready enough, have her take a few of the photos. Of course, you don't have to pick her photos, if you don't feel like they are good enough, but at least she gets to have a feel about how to go about doing her own thing.

Good luck!

To love this comment, log in above
7/20/2007 7:32:56 AM

Mark Feldstein
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/17/2005
  So Celeste, I'm sure you're already a licensed business entity, doing biz out of your home, paying taxes on your biz income, etc., and of course, you've got business (not just homeowners) liability insurance in case someone trips over a lightstand a either gets burned by a shattered lamp or ends up doing the hokey pokey on a power supply. I mean, some people just seem to not know that if they're conducting a business out of their home and something goes wrong, most insurance companies will deny liability unless they were notified in advance and the higher premiums are advance, of course. :>)

BUT, if you retain an intern, even one as a volunteer, the state would likely consider the kid an employee (especially if she's over 18) and if SHE gets hurt, even if you make her a tuna sandwich with tainted mayo, you (and, not necessarily the tuna) go on the hook for the medicals and any consequential damages. And yes, if you're transporting her to a shoot OR if she's transporting herself to a shoot and gets into a car wreck, you're covered yes? So, you also have workers comp insurance, right?

And if you're going to give her the business (tips) make sure she knows it's not just about photography. It is, afterall, a profession AND a real business. If you haven't done so yet, get a book or two on the business aspects of running a photo studio, including the liability issues of having an assistant, full-time, part-time or in between under your state labor laws. Unfortunately, it's hardly all about making pretty pix.
Take it light. ;>)

To love this comment, log in above
7/20/2007 4:50:43 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.