BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Melissa M. Hizer

One thing to buy

I have been asked by a friend to take her twin son's senior picture (or at least attempt to). They will be outdoors and she will go somewhere else to have the indoor shots taken. I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT with a tripod and remote cord. What is one thing that you think I should purchase to help with my outdoor portrait photographs? Money is fairly limited and I am just starting out on this adventure. Thanks for your suggestions ahead of time!!!

To love this question, log in above
7/3/2007 5:55:50 PM

Christopher A. Vedros
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/14/2005
  You didn't mention a lens, you'll need one. ;-) Seriously, what lens do you have? If you just have the 18-55mm kit lens, it's not really a great choice for portraits. A better lens, like the 50mm f/1.4, might make a bigger impact on your outdoor portraits than anything else.

Chris Vedros

To love this comment, log in above
7/3/2007 7:20:54 PM

Melissa M. Hizer   Thanks for your response! I do have 2 lenses, the 18-55mm and a 75-300mm (I do know that one is not good for portraits)!
Is the 50mm lens an image stabilization lens? If not, have you ever used any of those? Thanks Chris!

To love this comment, log in above
7/4/2007 6:01:19 AM

Oliver Anderson
BetterPhoto Member Since: 11/16/2004
  the 50mm 1.4 is a prime NON IS lens and very affordable for what you get. Since theyre twins you could always make copies of the better looking one, this saves time and is a GREAT confidence builder as they prepare to enter College.

To love this comment, log in above
7/4/2007 9:47:33 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.