BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Lori McCoy

How to Add Borders to Pictures

Could someone please explain how to add borders around pictures? I use Photoshop 7. I have used the technique of canvas size, which gives me a white border, but I would like to learn how to do more - black borders, painted edges, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To love this question, log in above
11/17/2006 11:08:05 AM

Michael H. Cothran   There are so many creative ways to add borders, it would be impossible to even name a few. However, I'll help you with the basic question you asked - How to change the border color from white to black:
FYI - When you change the canvas size, the enlarged area picks up the background color, which is the color in your background square, which is probably white. Looking at your toolbar, the color palette is towards the bottom. You'll see two squares of colors, which default to one black, and the other white. The one in front is your "foreground" color, and the one behind is your "background" color. You can change this background color to anything you want by double clicking on the background square. If you want pure black, drag the little circle in the color palette down to the lower left corner. RGB should all have zero's in their windows. This will give you a pure black border. For any other color, slide the color indicators up and down to select a color palette, then slide the little circle around until you see the color you want. You'll see two different color patches within the color palette window - one is what you had, and the other is the new color you selected. You'll also see RGB values, ranging from 0-255, which tell you the exact make-up of your particular color. In the future, you can simply dial these numbers into the RGB windows, which will allow you to reproduce the exact same color again. If you have any questions about how to use this color palette, ask here, or email me offline.

To love this comment, log in above
11/17/2006 11:31:30 AM

Lori McCoy   Thank you Michael!

To love this comment, log in above
11/19/2006 1:17:55 PM

Michael McCook
Contact Michael
Michael's Gallery
  If you don't want to resize your canvas and if you have a little free space at the edges of your original image, you can try a stroke. It will give you a very controlled size and placement of your border.

This technique works in PS or Elements.

Step 1: Open an image you'd like to apply the border to
If the image is on the Background layer, double click the layer, name it and click OK (Can't Stroke on a locked background)

Step 2: Hold down the Control key (PC) and click on the layer. This creates an active selection around the image.
Go to Edit > Stroke. This opens the Stroke dialog window
Enter a value for the Width
Click the Color picker to select a color
Location indicates where the Stroke will be placed. For now use the default setting of Center.
You can also apply Blending modes to your stroke for some special effects.
Click OK.

To love this comment, log in above
11/21/2006 4:54:50 AM

Dennis C. Hirning
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/17/2005
  Here are a couple suggestions you might want to try. It has been a while since I have used PS 7 so I am not sure of all the controls available.

1. If you want a little border or line on the inside of your picture, you can use the marquee tool to draw a box or circle around the area you want to highlight. Allow the room for the width of your border. Select Edit>Stroke but use the inside option. If you use either center or outside you will get rounded corners.

2. When selecting your color, try using the color picker tool (the little eye dropper) to select a color you would like to emphasize in you image. You can lighten or darken that color by clicking on the swatch that appears on the tool bar. Click on an imaginary line between the little circle and either the white corner or dark corner to lighten or darken the color without changing the hue.

To love this comment, log in above
11/21/2006 7:59:13 AM

Richard H. Turpin   I'm not sure if the previous responder (Dennis H.) was suggesting this, but in case not, I like to select the border color from the image itself. Just move the eye dropper over the image to locate the color that you would like for the border. This makes it very easy to select a border color that complements the image.

To love this comment, log in above
11/21/2006 2:53:20 PM

Gregory LaGrange
BetterPhoto Member Since: 11/11/2003
  Try a picture of good textured substances. Wood, rock, sand. Copy to make a layer and use transform to resize when you do the increase to the canvas size.
Or copy the outside edge and place over the photo to be bordered.

To love this comment, log in above
11/21/2006 10:45:27 PM

Lori McCoy   Thank you everyone! You have been very helpful. Can anyone explain how to get the painted edges on photos? I have seen this on a website. It basically looks like the edges have been erased. I have attempted but have not been successful.

To love this comment, log in above
11/22/2006 3:28:43 AM

Dennis C. Hirning
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/17/2005
  I am not sure just what effect you are trying to get but you can try some different things mainly using layers. I have some of these effects in my gallery. It isn't a premium gallery so there isn't all that much to go through.

Always work on a copy of your background and hide the original so you can always go back to your original if you need to.

1. If you just want to "erase" the edge use an eraser tool with a soft edge. Reduce the opacity of the brush so you aren't erasing everything in one stroke of the brush. Keep going over the area you want to erase until you get the effect that you like. I do this over a layer of what ever background color I want for an edge.

2. If you only want the edge faded to black or white, you could try Filter>Distort>Lens Correction and use the vignette slider until you get the effect that you want.

I think that I used both of these on my School House Down the Road.

If you want part of the image muted and showing through the border mat you can read the discussion on Changing of the Color in my gallery. I put the instructions on what I did in there. You don't need to do the blur if you don't want and you can just play around with levels on the border layer or have a color layer under the border layer and reduce the opacity of it so you just have a hint of the image on the border.

To love this comment, log in above
11/22/2006 6:23:42 AM

Michael McCook
Contact Michael
Michael's Gallery
  You can also do a search on Google for "free photoshop border actions" or something like that. I did, and I got lots of hits. I found this sight where you can download border collections and install them in your actions folder. There is an online tutorial to show you how to do that too.

I'm not affiliated with this sight, but I did download a few actions and run them. I also did a virus scan, etc. to make sure it was all safe.

To love this comment, log in above
11/22/2006 8:49:59 AM

Alexander    If you want the whole package get the book Photoshop Finishing Touches by Dave Cross available through NAPP or Amazon. It handles many many frames and borders.

Lex E.

To love this comment, log in above
12/19/2006 7:39:21 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.