BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: All About Photography : Traditional Film Photography : The Dark Room & Hints - Developing & Printing

Photography Question 

Developing 120 Film vs. Developing 35mm Film

When you develop 120 film, are the steps different than when you develop 35mm? Please help!

To love this question, log in above
10/21/2001 10:04:55 PM

John A. Lind
BetterPhoto Member Since: 9/27/2001
No. It's the same. If you're using a home lab you will need larger reels, etc., for handling the larger film. That's the only difference (film size).

-- John

To love this comment, log in above
10/21/2001 11:15:13 PM

doug Nelson   Just be sure you pour in enough of each solution into your tank to cover the wider reel. It may be twice as much as for 35mm. If the instructions with your tank don't tell you how much, put in an empty reel, pour in enough water to just cover the reel, and pour the water out into a big measuring cup.

To love this comment, log in above
10/22/2001 1:42:20 PM

Fred Romero   Well, there may be another consideration when developing 120 b&w film. During a recent session printing a few rolls of film I had just developed, I noticed the left and right edges of my prints looked slightly washed out -- no a lot, but just enough to be aggravating. After trying to troubleshoot everything from the enarger lens to my camera and film, I finally asked my lab instructor for help. He smiled as he listened to my tale of woe, then he offered the following advice: because 120 film is larger than 35mm, it is more sensitive to the aggitation process during development, i.e., the developing solution may not cover the outside edges and inside portion of the film equally, even with standard hand aggitation methods. The solution, I was told, was to (1) aggitate the film by rolling the tank slowly back and forth on a flat surface, or (2) use a machine (they are supposedly available) that holds the tank and rolls it for you during the developing process. All I know is that my 120 negative proofsheets and prints do show a lighter emulsion image (left & right) on occasion, and I never get this with my 35mm prints. Any thoughts?

To love this comment, log in above
10/25/2001 11:07:20 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.