BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Constance Kessel
BetterPhoto Member Since: 12/29/2004

what do i have to do to become legal?

Can anyone direct me the right place to go on the internet(where i've been its all so confusing...) or a place to call to figure out excatly what I need to do to become a legal business? i've been reading about llc's, about s and c corps and alot of other confusing tax stuff. I have a partner now, so there will be 2 owners....
If I call a accountant will that person be able to advise me on everything legal, or will I have to actually call a lawyer-and will the lawyer charge us just for telling us what we need to do?

thanks in advance for all the help...


To love this question, log in above
7/16/2006 4:30:08 PM

Irene Troy
BetterPhoto Member Since: 5/27/2004
  Constance – you did not mention where you live, so this may be a little presumptuous; however, assuming that you might live in the USA, try giving the Small Business Administration office in your area a call –check your yellow pages for their number. If you live in a rural area (I do) check the directory for your nearest good size city. You may also check online for the info.

Again, making that assumption about your being in the US, try your state office for small business. In many states this office is part of either the Attorney General’s office or the Governor’s Office for small businesses. You may also want to check locally (depending upon the size of your town) for a local small business group such as a division of your local chamber of commerce. Many states have information about starting your small business or incorporating a small business on their web sites. Again, try the AG’s office for either the information or a link to the proper department.

The answers to your other questions: yes, an accountant should be able to at least explain what you need to do in order to become a formal business and yes, they do charge for this service. However, some accountants (mine, thankfully!) will assist you in setting up your business, incorporating and establishing your initial books as one complete service and some will even permit you to make payments over time. A good attorney can do most of this for you also for approximately the same cost. You can get referrals to either an honest accountant or good lawyer from the state bar association or board of licensing for your state. Make sure that you select a licensed accountant! Sometimes a local small business group will help you set up and find the right professionals to do your legal work.

I hope that this, at least, points you in the right direction.


To love this comment, log in above
7/16/2006 6:11:58 PM

Constance Kessel
BetterPhoto Member Since: 12/29/2004
  thank-you so much...and yes you presumed right...i do live in the US.

This is so much help!!


To love this comment, log in above
7/17/2006 8:52:31 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.