BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Cheryl Adams-Taylor


Hi Everyone. I know you need a release from a person to sell a photo of them but what about a persons property i.e. House, livestock, barn etc... Do I need their permission to take a picture of their property. Also what if I get their permission to take a landscape from a vantage point on their property? Should I give them a courtesy copy of the photo?

To love this question, log in above
5/16/2006 10:03:54 AM

Irene Troy
BetterPhoto Member Since: 5/27/2004
  To the best of my knowledge –albeit limited – you need a release to market any image of private property including a home, land, animals, etc. From the point of view as a farm owner and animal owner: when people come to my property and shoot images of my animals I always appreciate a copy of the photo. In turn, when I visit another person’s farm/home/business and make images I always offer them a copy of the final image.

To love this comment, log in above
5/16/2006 11:13:13 AM

Sharon  Day
BetterPhoto Member Since: 6/27/2004
Contact Sharon
Sharon 's Gallery
  You don't need permission to take photos from a public place (sidewalk, roadway) of property, animals or whatever, but you do need the release to use them.

To love this comment, log in above
5/16/2006 12:53:32 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.