BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Jake Trexel

circular polarizer

I am looking for help in finding a circular polarizer for my Nikon FM3a that has a Niknor lens that is 62mm. Thirty years ago I had a circular polarizer on my Cannon lens, and was able to turn it to get the effect that I wanted.

To love this question, log in above
4/14/2006 2:09:07 PM

Michael H. Cothran   Jake -
First, since your FM3a is NOT auto focus, you do not need a circular polarizer. A linear polarizer will do. However, if you also own an auto focus body, then it would behoove you to purchase a circular, simply so you can use the same polarizer on both bodies.
Second, any brand of filters will carry sizes which will include 62mm. Even Nikon offers their own polarizers. You can buy cheap, or you can buy expensive - Japanese, German, Korean, Third world, whatever. There is NO lack of choice regarding polarizing filters on the market.

BTW - You state having owned a "circular" polarizer 30 years ago to use with your Canon. I'm not so sure about that. Circular polarizers were developed specifically to work with AF cameras. I'll bet you had a linear polarizer back in the 70's, as that's basically all there was then. FYI - Both linear AND circular polarizers revolve or turn, allowing you to get the effect you want.
Michael H. Cothran

To love this comment, log in above
4/14/2006 5:17:30 PM

Jake Trexel   May be I am not thinking of the same thing. The one I had, you could turn and get the sky a deeper blue, or bring colors out more and stop reflections.
Did I have a linear polarizer ??
PS, if so where can I get one of those ??

To love this comment, log in above
4/17/2006 1:29:16 PM

Bob Fately   Jake, the effect you get from either a linear or curcular polarizing filter is the same - the difference is only "visible" to the auto-focus mechanism, which s why newer cameras need the circular version.

By rotating either type of filter, you will see the darkened sky/reduction of glare effect vary with the rotation. This has to do with the angle of the sun reflecting off the subject towards your camera.

To love this comment, log in above
4/17/2006 2:10:22 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.