BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Ira S. Gershansky


I am walking around Manhattan taking pictures of doors of buildings and brownstones etc and gargoyles. If I even get around to having them published do I need to get a release from the owner of each door I shoot?

To love this question, log in above
4/7/2006 12:40:36 PM

Justin G.
BetterPhoto Member Since: 7/13/2004
  I'm not an expert in the matter but if in the photo you can see the companies name, then yes. If it's just a generic door, no company name, and it's for the most part unrecognizeable then I'd say no. If you ever needed to get a property release I'm sure the owner's would work with you if you offered some type of payment, maybe a large print or something should win them over. Again this is just what I'd assume, so take this with a grain of salt if you so desire! Good luck.


To love this comment, log in above
4/7/2006 12:55:00 PM

Todd Bennett
BetterPhoto Member Since: 11/8/2004

Here is the link to a thread about the very same question. It should answer your question. Justin is correc.


To love this comment, log in above
4/7/2006 1:25:06 PM

Mark Feldstein
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/17/2005
  Greetings Ira. Yep, that thread Todd referred you to pretty much says it all in summary and the link to Bert Krages web site is good to have as well. And I'm with Justin. Generic doors don't require a release. Those with a unique, recognizable pattern...yeah, you probably should for publication.

Several years ago, I photographed some gargoyles in Chicago adding a bottle off mouthwash to the scene. Couldn't read the bottle though or see the logo. I called it "Gargoyle with Listerine". Whaddya think?

Take it light.

To love this comment, log in above
4/7/2006 3:27:02 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.