BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Travis Barnwell

How to copyright my photos

How does one go about copyrighting their digital photographs?

To love this question, log in above
2/1/2006 6:26:00 AM

Jay A. Grantham
BetterPhoto Member Since: 7/21/2005
  go to for information.

You can load a CD or DVD with thumbnails and get the whole disk copyrighted.

To love this comment, log in above
2/1/2006 6:58:05 AM

Denyse Clark
BetterPhoto Member Since: 10/2/2002
  Do you mean putting a copyright symbol on the front of the image? You can do that in PS. Select the Text tool, click on the photo where you want it, alt 0169 and the copyright symbol appears, then you can add your name in text after it.

If you do prints- In the print lab I use, the pro paper I choose prints a watermark across the back that says "professional photo- copyrighted".

Enforcing the copyright is a whole other issue.

To love this comment, log in above
2/1/2006 7:09:04 AM

Craig m. Zacarelli
BetterPhoto Member Since: 2/3/2005
  Legend has it, as soon as you press the shutter release, the image is yours and its copyrighted... now you can put a C symbol on your pics or not.. its debateable.. I was putting my signature on mine till I tried to have prints made and it wouls crop out half the name or part of the last letters.. besides, like Denyse says, enforcing is the real battle. Almost anyone with a computer can remove anything you put on the picture so I dont really think its worth it. Keep the file and the original file somewhere safe, I think as long as YOU have the original file, your good if you find someone using your image without permission.

To love this comment, log in above
2/1/2006 8:18:42 AM

Denyse Clark
BetterPhoto Member Since: 10/2/2002
  Exactly- the technology today makes it so easy to borrow, copy, alter, etc...

I don't even bother to worry about it. If you make a living from it, I guess you get a little more sensitive to the issue.

I stopped fighting the request from clients for the negatives. I shoot digital now, and just include a copy of the cd w/ their prints. The contract says I still own the photos, but they get a copy to do as they wish with them.

To love this comment, log in above
2/1/2006 8:59:13 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.