BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Adam S. Oliver

When Getting a Model Release Is a Challenge

How do I go about getting a "model release" from someone on public property that can neither read nor write (for example, in a village located in rural China)? What laws apply to photos taken in international settings?

To love this question, log in above
11/2/2005 9:01:49 PM

Kerry Drager
BetterPhoto Member
Kerry's Photo Courses:
4-Week Short Course: Creative Close-ups
  Hi Adam,
Good questions! It just so happens that BetterPhoto instructor/photographer Jim Zuckerman recently wrote an excellent article on a very similar situation that he encountered. Check it out at:
Photographic Model Release Forms: Third World Perspective

Hope this article gives you some ideas, Adam. In any case, though, it's a verrrry interesting read!

To love this comment, log in above
11/4/2005 12:02:12 PM

Gregory LaGrange
BetterPhoto Member Since: 11/11/2003
  Get a translator who can write and read to explain that you need their permission to show the picture back home. Then get the person to make a mark (old way of signing with an X) and get the translator to sign as a witness. Don't know what the article says, but this is one way.

To love this comment, log in above
11/4/2005 12:09:09 PM

William Koplitz   This semi-nude image of a minor isn't really a good example and I can't imagine any advertiser in the US using this image in any kind of commerce. I would guess that the real legal issue is if we have a treaty with the country that covers US copyright.

To love this comment, log in above
11/8/2005 6:37:03 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.