BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Christy Jackme
BetterPhoto Member Since: 7/3/2005

Wein Safe-Sync for Digital Rebel

I need to purchase a pc sync adapter for my digital rebel. I will be doing a shoot using studio lighting. I have heard great things about the wein safe-sync adapter. But I spoke to a girl at Ritz who said that for the rebel the only thing that would work would be a canon sync adapter. Is this true? Has anyone used the wein for the rebel? HELP!

To love this question, log in above
11/1/2005 6:41:10 PM

Jon Close
BetterPhoto Member Since: 5/18/2000
  I'm sure the person at Ritz assumed you wanted TTL communication between the camera and the remote lights. That would require the Canon sync cords. You do not need that, and the Canon cords and adapters would not work with your studio lights anyway because they do not use the standard PC plug, and the lights do not have TTL control. Get the Wein Safe-Sync.

To love this comment, log in above
11/2/2005 5:48:53 AM

Christy Jackme
BetterPhoto Member Since: 7/3/2005
  Thanks Jon- I'm gonna purchase one today!

To love this comment, log in above
11/2/2005 6:34:28 AM

Tom Sheridan
BetterPhoto Member Since: 2/22/2004
  I have a Canon rebel and the Wein safe-synch and it works, BUT... I have gone through 3 of them so far with the same problem. They work perfectly at first but after 1-2 uses where I remove the safe sunch from the hot shoe I have trouble getting the safe-synch to make contact. I have sent them back to Wein and they have replaced them but it is frustrating that it keeps happening. The biggest issue is that the problem makes the firing of my attached strobes inconsistent so I lose some good shots.
I am not sure if this is bad luck or something in the way the Rebel hot shoe is shaped but I would like to find another solution.

To love this comment, log in above
11/26/2005 6:16:31 AM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.