BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Diane L. Thomas
BetterPhoto Member Since: 4/21/2004

What mm lens do I need to take landscapes.

I am going to Kentucky in July and I want to know what lens mm I'd need to get for landscape and to catch the smokey mountains. But I need to be able to use it with my studio work also. Diane Thomas

To love this question, log in above
4/20/2005 4:23:28 PM

Julie M. Cwik
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/2/2005
  Honestly it really depends on the type of photography you like to do. Looking at your portfolo, it seems you like to do more close up photographs, and in that case you would want the marco or 35-70 maybe, if you want complete landscapes you would also want to use that lens. When I went to the smokey mountains last fall I took a AF 35-70 and AF 70-210 with a 1.5 converter, polorazion and ND filter. You definately want one of those filters as it makes the colors more saturated, and the clouds pop out more (especially in B/W photos) If you haven't tried this yet, put you camera on a tripod, and take a photo of a regular landscape (grass and sky) then put the poloraztion filter on and take another photo of the excate location of the first photo. Then look at them both together. The results are amazing! Hope this helps.

To love this comment, log in above
4/20/2005 4:36:31 PM

Anthony Soares
BetterPhoto Member Since: 4/3/2005
  Dianne I checked out your portfolio and see that you use a Nikon.I use a canon 20D the lens I would choose (infact will be my next lens purchase) would be the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.I would suggest going to your local camera store and see what lenses Nikkor has that are similar. hope this helps........Tony S

To love this comment, log in above
4/20/2005 7:18:21 PM

Andrew Laverghetta
BetterPhoto Member Since: 9/13/2004
  Personally, if there were in this situation, I would try to get/use a wide angle lens. Maybe something around 17mm on your Nikon since it has that 1.5x field of view crop. Try something that starts out around 17mm or 20mm and that extends to something around 50mm or 80mm. I would advise to not use it at the wide angle for studio use of course. One more quick comment I saw hehe, I like your self portrait in your gallery but don't forget that your camera also has a vertical shutter button so you don'd need to stress your wrist by wrapping it up and over the camera :)

To love this comment, log in above
4/21/2005 2:11:43 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.