BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 

Lens Protection

Hi everyone,

Well, I set out today to the Botanical Gardens to take some photos at the Orchid Show. I threw my two lenses and extension tubes in my backpack and set out. It became quite clear that I need to invest in some lens bags or pouches. Do you have any recommendations? I remember reading about these foam things that you simply roll around your lenses, but I can't remember what they're called. I appreciate any advice.


To love this question, log in above
3/22/2005 4:05:03 PM

Michael H. Cothran   I think I would invest in a "real" camera bag, one with individual pouches and/or compartments for each item you carry.

To love this comment, log in above
3/23/2005 10:07:36 AM

Jennifer E. Betser
BetterPhoto Member Since: 2/28/2005
  Defiantly buy a camera bag with separate compartments. A front pouch is nice too, thatís where I put my filters (which are also in separate little filter pouches)... In my camera bag the compartments have Velcro that way if you have something bigger or smaller to fit, you can arrant the size you want. Also, to protect your actual lenses, buy a UV or Skylight filter... all it is, is a clear filter that fits on your lens (at all times) and helps protect it... If you drop the lens it will be less likely to break, than if there was no protective filter on it.

To love this comment, log in above
3/25/2005 12:48:16 PM

Bob Cammarata
BetterPhoto Member Since: 7/17/2003
  A bag with compartments is nice to have but it would still be wise to protect each lens with a case or pouch of some kind.
Soft leather pouches come in many sizes and are not as expensive as hard lens cases.
Or, you can make your own pouches with some bubble wrap and a stapler. While not very attractive, they're functional and can be made in a few minutes for practically nothing.

In reference to Jennifer's comment on filters: If you have several filters of the same size, invest in a set of filter stack caps...(you can check them out at this link):
The way they work is that you screw all your filters together,...put a cap on both ends, and carry it around in a "roll".

To love this comment, log in above
3/25/2005 2:40:51 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.