BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Linda L. Pradetto

developing color 35mm film

My husband is the actual photographer in the family, I do the technical work. He does college football and then needs them developed as soon as possible. We usually have our film processed at a one hour lab, then I scan the negatives into the computer and work with them from there. We are having trouble with getting good negatives from the labs, scratching is our biggest problem. We live in a very rural area and have limited access to labs. Iíve done some B&W developing, but know nothing about color. Is it possible to develop our film myself and what would I need to do it?

Thanks for any help you can give, Linda

To love this question, log in above
9/21/2004 10:15:14 AM

Jon Close
BetterPhoto Member Since: 5/18/2000
  "C-41 process" is used for developing color negative film. See for one supplier of home processing equipment and chemicals. Kodak might make C-41 chemicals available to hobbyists as well (link).

Generally needs tighter control of temperatures and times than traditional b&w film developing.

To love this comment, log in above
9/21/2004 12:04:37 PM

Rhonda L. Tolar   I am thinking you could put him with a very good digital camera, for the price and aggrevation you would have trying to process your own c-41.

Another alternative is to send your film to a professional lab and have them put your prints to a CD. Some labs will process the film and email you the pictures, the one I can think of off of the top of my head is They have the sports cards and magazine covers also, you might just be able to expand your market!

To love this comment, log in above
9/21/2004 2:32:27 PM

Gregory LaGrange
BetterPhoto Member Since: 11/11/2003
  if you scan and work with them with a computer, you can't remove scratches with something like digital ice, or just photoshop?

To love this comment, log in above
9/21/2004 9:08:51 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.