The Little Church At Thingvellir

© Paul Coco

The Little Church At Thingvellir
Be the first... Sign in and then comment below.

To discuss, first log in or sign up (buttons are at top center of page).

Description

According to documented sources, a church was built at Thingvellir shortly after the acceptance of Christianity in the year 1000. King Olaf the portly of Norway sent wood and a church bell as a present for a church at Thingvellir in the year 1015 according to Snorri Sturluson's history of the Norwegian kings, Heimskringla.

The church dates back to the latter part of the 14th century when it was dedicated to Olaf the wholly king of Norway. The present church was built and consecrated in 1859 and a new tower was built in 1907. It contains three bells, one old, another from 1697 and the third one was added on the 17th of June 1944, when the Icelandic republic was proclaimed on the Parliamentary Plains.

Exif: F Number: 10, Exposure Bias Value: 0.00, ExposureTime: 1/200 seconds, Flash: did not fire., ISO: 200, White balance: Auto white balance, FocalLength: 90.00 mm, Model: NIKON D90

Uploaded on 1/10/2013 11:40:17 AM

Made With

Camera: Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera


Copyright for this gallery photo belongs solely to Paul Coco. Images may not be copied, downloaded, or used in any way without the expressed, written permission of the photographer.
Log in to follow or message this photographer or report this photo.