Photo Contest Finalist
Wrigley Building Details
Description: When ground was broken for the Wrigley Building in 1920, there were no major office buildings north of the Chicago River and the Michigan Avenue Bridge, which spans the river just south of the building, was still under construction. The land was selected by chewing gum magnate William Wrigley Jr. to headquarter his gum company. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst & White using the shape of the Giralda tower of Seville's Cathedral combined with French Renaissance details. The 425-foot (130 m) south tower was completed in April 1921 and the north tower in May 1924. Walkways between the towers were added at the ground level and the third floor. In 1931, another walkway was added at the fourteenth floor to connect to offices of a bank in accordance with a Chicago statute concerning bank branch offices.
Uploaded on 9/6/2011 6:07:07 PM
Made with Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera
Read Photo Discussion
Sign in to make this photo a Favorite
© Leslie McLain
Join the photo sharing fun!
Sign in to make photographer a Favorite
Copyright for this gallery photo belongs solely to
Images may not be copied, downloaded, or used in any way without the expressed, written permission of the photographer.
Contact the photographer