- Become a better photographer today!
remember me:     

BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

To participate in the Forum, become a BetterPhoto member or Sign In.

Photography Question 

member since: 10/11/2004

Moving Water and Slow Motion

How do I take pictures of waterfalls in such a way that the waters flow in a silky manner? What is the shutter speed that should be used for that type of photography? Is there any other method or ways for photographing waterfalls or running water differently?

11/16/2004 8:26:24 PM

Damian P. Gadal
BetterPhoto Member

member since: 4/22/2002
  Yes, you'll want a slow shutter speed and it would be best to shoot on an overcast day. You can also use an ND Filter to cut back on the light and allowing the slower shutter speeds you're after.
Some Trial and Error, and you should soon get the settings that you find satisfactory....

11/16/2004 9:52:46 PM

Kerry Drager
BetterPhoto Member
Kerry's Photo Courses:
4-Week Short Course: Creative Close-ups
  Excellent advice from Damian on achieving the "silky" flowing-motion effect in moving water! Besides avoiding bright-and-sunny conditions:
  • Use a small aperture (high f/stop number).
  • Go with a low ISO (i.e., 100).
  • Good advice, too, on the deep-tinted ND filter. Yet another option is the polarizing filter, which is also deep-tinted. The polarizer not only cuts the amount of light entering the lens, it also can remove the shine from wet surfaces and, thus, beef up the colors.
  • You'll also need a tripod or other camera support, due to the slow shutter speeds.
  • But perhaps the best tip comes from Damian: Don't forget trial and error (i.e., vary the shutter speeds)!
    Have fun shooting!

    11/22/2004 9:24:17 PM


    To participate in the Forum, become a BetterPhoto member or Sign In.

    Copyright 1996-2014, Inc. All Rights Reserved.