BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Lee F. Emery

Develop Photos

How do I develop my negatives into photos, what do I need to do this

To love this question, log in above
12/20/2003 7:53:40 PM

Gregory LaGrange
BetterPhoto Member Since: 11/11/2003
  Take them to wal-mart.(jk)
I'm guessing you're talking about darkroom stuff. Well for black and white, you need an enlarger. Now if you're going to buy an enlarger you have to know that if all you do is ask for an enlarger, that dosen't necessarily mean you get everything else you need with it. You may just get shown an enlarger head. Here's a list:
enlarger with bulb, base board, negative carrier, enlarging lens, you may even have to get the thing that allows you to raise and lower the head (not sure about that), timer, safe light, chemicals, trays, tongs, containers to store chemicals, contrast filters. I think that's about it as for as just developing pictures.

For color, you need a color enlarger (much more expensive than b&w) different kind of chemicals(color developer,bleach fix,stop bath,stabilizer-if I remember correctly),developing cylinder(you don't do color photos is a tray). There's this thing that turns the cylinder so you get even developing, or else you'd have to do it by hand. Also there's a safe light for color but it's so dark that you might as well be in total darkness.
Doing your own can be fun, but it's time consuming. To get the contrast you want for black&white film, I can see how you would want to do that, but with color, if it's what you really want to do, have fun. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you.

To love this comment, log in above
12/20/2003 8:38:23 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.