BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 

when do I need a business license

Hello again,
I just did my first team and individual photo day shoot in California. Now my question is when do I need to get a business license or do I even need one to do this kind of work. I'm only doing this part time so far and I'm planning on contacting more leagues. Any help will be greatly appreciate it.

To love this question, log in above
5/4/2006 9:08:23 AM

Mark Feldstein
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/17/2005
  Technically, whether part-time or full time, you should have had your biz license before you engaged in business. But, I'm sure your local county recorder will forgive you if you register now.

Some Calif. counties handle that through the local municipalities, like individual cities. You can in the local telephone directory white pages under the name of your city and municipal offices. Chances are you'll find a number for business licenses. Or, call your local county Assessors business tax collection office. They'll be able to direct you and send you lots and lots of forms to fill out.

BTW, Again, depending on the county, the penalty for engaging in biz without a proper city or county license can be pretty stiff. Understand that it's not so much a license as a tax on small businesses. But without it, like I said, if you leave home without one and get caught, chances are the penalty is going to be a lot more than the license. Orange, San Diego, L.A., and San Francisco Counties, for example.

Okie dokie?

To love this comment, log in above
5/4/2006 12:09:10 PM

Sam    Thank you Mark,
I really appreciate your quick informative response.I already called the city I live at to get some info to start registering the business and getting my license.

Thanks again,

To love this comment, log in above
5/4/2006 4:46:31 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.