BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Leesa White
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/22/2003

Negative From Print

I have lost a negative to a VERY important print. I have the print. Is there any way a negative can be made from it? I need a negative to submit for publication of the print. Any help would be very much appreciated!

To love this question, log in above
11/12/2004 11:25:56 AM

Vince Broesch   It can still be done the old way, which is to have a lab put it on a copy stand and take a picture of it. But these days, there are better ways. You can have a pro lab do a high-resolution scan, do any necessary digital clean-up, and then output to a film recorder to make a new neg.

To love this comment, log in above
11/12/2004 3:33:13 PM

Bob Cammarata
BetterPhoto Member Since: 7/17/2003
  I think your only alternative is to have the print re-photographed on a copy-stand type setup with a fine-grain film ... preferably with one of a larger format.
A pro lab can do a better job at this than you could probably do yourself but some loss of image clarity and detail is un-avoidable.
You might want to inquire if a transparency would be acceptable. You could have one made using the above process with a slide film, and have one less "generation" of loss in clarity than a negative which has to be re-printed ...just a thought.

To love this comment, log in above
11/12/2004 3:47:21 PM

Leesa White
BetterPhoto Member Since: 3/22/2003
  Thanks, Bob and Vince,
I will definitely look into those options. Thanks so much for the quick response!

To love this comment, log in above
11/12/2004 3:53:40 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.