BetterPhoto Q&A
Category: New Questions

Photography Question 
Rochelle K. Westgarde

How to take a reading?

My question is this, how do I take a meter reading? If I am shooting a scene and want to find something middle toned to take a read from how do I do that?

To love this question, log in above
9/27/2004 12:39:49 AM

ISHAK ABDUL KARIM   What camera are u using? If u r metering an outdoor scene use center weighted or spot metering. Meter on the highlights, mid toned, shadow. U must be able to differentiate them. And then set them manually with aperure or shutter speed as your priority. You can also use program mode with one of the above mentioned meter, meter the various zones and lock exposure as u feel u got the best middle tone. Hope this helps.

To love this comment, log in above
9/27/2004 6:02:45 PM

ISHAK ABDUL KARIM   I forgot, Middle toned reading, should be averaged between the two extremes but biasing 1 or 2 stops towards the highlight reading. for example highlight !/1000 @ f11
mid toned 1/250 @f11 and shadow 1/30 @f11 then u should select something like 1/500 @ f11 as aperture is ur priority. If u want blurs and shutter is ur priortity- <1/60 second and the light is 2 strong then u will need an nd filter to reduce light intensity.

To love this comment, log in above
9/27/2004 6:27:19 PM

Bob Cammarata
BetterPhoto Member Since: 7/17/2003
  "Middle tones" are anything neutral,...not real bright or real dark.
A few examples found outdoors are green grass, fall foliage, flower petals...(as long as they are not white or very light in color), gray asphalt, people's faces,...and of course,...the indispensable gray card.
When shooting is diffused light (cloudcover) or in shade, metering off any of these will produce acceptable results.
If the sun is bright and harsh, creating hot spots and deep shadows, meter off something bright which is important to the scene and let the shadows fall where they may.

To love this comment, log in above
9/27/2004 6:29:47 PM

Log in to respond or ask your own question.