BetterPhoto® Summit - Photography Conference Program
Chicago, IL: September 29th and 30th, 2007
View Full Summit Program
Download Summit Program PDF.
© Heather K. McFarland
- Instructor Seminars
- Professional Panel Discussions
- Live Critiques
- BetterPhoto Book Store
- Photography Equipment Demos
- Networking Lunch
- BetterPholio Booth
- Photographer's Showcase Theater
Scheduled Presentations by Instructors:
Six Steps to Making Photographs with Impact
© Brenda Tharp
Learn from Brenda Tharp with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- Seeing and working with light.
- Advanced ideas of composition.
- Incorporating visual design elements.
- Creating depth in your pictures.
- Adding motion for impact.
- Capturing the moment.
Expanding Your Dynamic Range
Live demonstration of Photoshop Toolbox's High Dynamic Range function:
© Lewis Kemper
Learn from Lewis Kemper with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- Creating a "graduated neutral density filter" in Photoshop.
- Combining multiple exposures to get a full tonal range image.
B&W in Photoshop
© George Schaub
Learn from George Schaub with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- An appreciation of black and white.
- Working with images: color conversion, exposure and contrast adjustments.
- Selections: Working with select areas in your images.
- Working with layer masks and burn and dodge tools.
© Sean Arbabi
Learn from Sean Arbabi with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- Basics on exposure.
- Understanding how your camera meter works.
- The spectrum of exposures.
- Exposures through color, value, and light.
Nature and Landscape Composition – Beyond the Basics
© Jennifer Wu
Learn from Jennifer L. Wu with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- How to research and locate beautiful places.
- Using perspective to get the shot.
- How to create balance.
- How to use color as a design element.
- Focusing in on the concept of a photo.
The Telling Moment: Using Light, Composition and Focus for a Great Portrait
© Ibarionex Perello
Learn from Ibarionex Perello with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- Laying the groundwork.
- Awareness and control of your background.
- Depth of field and selective focus.
- Seeing and controlling available light.
- Use fill-flash in bright and low-light conditions.
- Techniques for capturing emotion-filled candids.
The Cinematic Approach to Photography
© Josh Anon
Learn from Josh Anon with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- Using cinematic ideas to tell your story in an image.
- Learning what your audience sees, without being aware of it.
- Thinking beyond the rule of thirds and outside a 35mm frame.
Susan and Neil Silverman
A Great Image is Made, Not Taken
© Susan and Neil Silverman
Learn from Susan and Neil Silverman with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- Four elements for making a photograph.
- The creative process.
- Considering the compositional elements,
- A dozen do's and dont's of composition.
Getting More Energy Into Your Photos of People
© Bruce Smith
Learn from Bruce Smith with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- How a fashion photographer's unique approach affects their individual style and photography.
- How you exaggerate and magnify your own personality to get through to your subjects and communicate your photo objectives.
- For great pictures of people, you need to put 110% of your own energy into the shoot in order to get 100% out of your sitter - tiring but invigorating for the photographer.
- This approach/philosophy is of benefit to everyone from the amateur to the pro portrait and wedding photographer.
© Robin Nichols
Learn from Robin Nichols with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- How to shoot, assemble and print your own eye-popping, widescreen panorama pictures.
- Learn easy-to-follow techniques for creating impressive horizontal and vertical panorama shots.
- Use everyday, affordable software and basic photo equipment.
Kid Wrangling: Props and Distractors
© Vik Orenstein
Learn from Vik Orenstein with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- How to amuse and connect with your young subjects.
- Using parents and other props to capture great shots of children.
- Learn to make portraits of a kid using the subject's parent or other compliant adult as a prop, a background, a foreground… your imagination is your ticket to success.
Photoshop Speed and Retouching Secrets
© Todd Morrison
Learn from Todd Morrison with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- Secrets that allow you to spend less time in front of your computer and more time taking pictures.
- Learn the skills to perform incredible transformations using Photoshop’s hidden retouching tools.
- Learn techniques for doing all this fast!
15 Photoshop Techniques
Learn Photoshop CS3 techniques to turn your digital images into the best possible looking prints. For example:
© Gregory Georges
Learn from Gregory Georges with an online photography class here at BetterPhoto.com:
- Destructive vs. non-destructive image editing workflow.
- Reversible dodging and burning.
- Contrast masking.
- Correcting lens distortion.
- Using blend modes to make an image pop (Sponge tool).
- Optimum sharpening techniques.
- Get perfect prints using soft-proofing.
Get professional on-the-spot feedback on your photography! Sign up to get your images critiqued - personally! - by one of BetterPhoto's professional instructors, which will include:
- Ellen Anon, Josh Anon, Sean Arbabi, Jenni Bidner, Jon Canfield, Kathleen Carr, Gregory Georges, Lewis Kemper, Richard Lynch, Todd Morrison, Robin Nichols, Vik Orenstein, Ibarionex Perello, George Schaub, Susan and Neil Silverman, John Siskin, Bruce Smith, Kevin Moss, Brenda Tharp, Al Ward, Jennifer Wu
Get inspired at the 3rd Annual BetterPhoto® Photography Summit!
Chicago, IL: September 29th and 30th, 2007
Fee includes all presentations, live pro critiques, special photography showcase and lunch on Saturday and Sunday. This fee does not include lodging, transportation, or other travel expenses.
For more details about the Summit...
Note: Summit program, speakers and details may change.